My family has been on the ground now in S. Asia serving as Church Planters in an international context for six months. I recently compiled a list of six lessons that we have learned six months in to overseas work. There are many more lessons than what is on this list, but only wanted to share a limited amount from our first portion of time here.
1. Go with or join a team.
2. Set clear and realistic expectations (Culture, language, ministry).
3. Recognize you will change, your marriage will change,and you will be dealing with change.
4. Be patient when equipping nationals.
5. Don't be surprised when spiritual warfare takes place as it is everyday life.
6. Don't invest all of your time or resources in only a couple of national leaders.