Being a father of a now one year old, I decided that it was time to finally break out some parenting books to get some helpful tips on figuring out what in the heck I am doing. Three books have been most highly recommend to me so my wife and I have purchased all three and finished reading the first one this week, which is Gospel-Powered Parenting: How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting, by William P. Farley. In his book, Farley suggest seven ways in which the gospel affects parenting.
SEVEN WAYS IN WHICH THE GOSPEL AFFECTS PARENTING
1. The gospel teaches Christian parents to fear God.
2. The gospel motivates parents to lead by example.
3. The gospel centers families in their male servant leaders.
4. The gospel teaches and motivates parents to discipline their children.
5. The gospel motivates parents to teach their children.
6. The gospel motivates parents to lavish their children with love and affection.
7. The gospel is the solution for inadequate parents.
The other two highly recommend books are:
Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp and Give them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids With the Love of Jesus by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson. Also another helpful free e-book specifically for fathers is Pastor Dad by Mark Driscoll. I am obviously very new at parenting, but these have been the most recommend books given to me, any others out there that I should be aware of?