Let me start out by being honest up front in saying that overall I feel as if my prayer life stinks! But it is out of that realization that I have started to sense even more the need for prayer in my life. Aside from that I printed off 2500 prayer cards of my family that I am fully expecting people to pray for us when they see, but I don't think that I should expect that from people if I myself am not praying.
In my process of realization of the importance of prayer, I came across 19 reasons on "Why Pray" that was given out at one of the orientation sessions I attended recently. These 19 reasons have helped me see even more reasons why to pray, which I hope will also be of help to you.
1. Prayer discovers the secret of Christ's evangelistic success (Mark 1:14, 35).
2. Prayer follows the example of the early church (Acts 4:31).
3. Prayer acknowledges dependence upon God (Psalm 40:1, 4).
4. Prayer conforms our will to God's (1 John 5:14).
5. Prayer opens closed doors (Colossians 4:2,3)
6. Pray grants victory over Satan (Ephesians 6:12, 18).
7. Prayer unleashes divine power (Ephesians 3:14-16).
8. Prayer begets boldness in witnessing (Ephesians 6:18,19).
9. Prayer brings wisdom about what to say (James 1:5).
10. Prayer replaces anxiety with peace (Philippians 4:6,7).
11. Prayer brings fullness of joy (John 16:24).
12. Prayer produces fruitfulness (John 15:5,7).
13. Prayer causes growth in new believers (Philippians 1:4,6).
14. Prayer raises up new workers (Matthew 9:37, 38).
15. Prayer generates revival (Chronicles 7:14).
16. Prayer impacts the world (Psalms 2:8).
17. Prayer accomplishes amazing results (Jeremiah 33:3).
18. Prayer delights the Lord (Proverbs 15:8b).
19. Prayer glorifies God (John 14:1).